what is linux web hosting? Advantages and Disadvantages of Linux Hosting
Linux is among the most prominent operating systems that you can find out there. The main difference that you can see in Linux is that it is open source. There is a rich community of users behind Linux as well.
As you look at the different hosting solutions, you will come across something like linux web hosting server. What is Linux hosting meaning? Continue to read this article, and we will share more details with you on what this hosting is all about. Then you can decide whether to invest your money in Linux hosting or not.
What Is Web Hosting?You will make it available for people online when you host a website. However, you will need a web server to host a website. A web server is nothing but a massive computer with multiple CPUs and hard drives connected to the internet 24 hours a day.
A web server is usually partitioned into multiple pieces. Different users have access to other parts of the webserver. The users will need to connect to the webserver through an FTP client. Then it will upload the files of the website. All these files will be accessible to you over the internet. However, it is possible to determine whether the files are accessible privately or publicly.
What Is Linux Hosting?Now you have a good idea of what web hosting is all about. While keeping that in mind, you may take a look at linux hosting meaning. On top of that, you will also be able to determine Linux shared hosting and what benefits you can receive out of it in the long run.
Linux is one of the stable operating systems that you can find out there. It is pretty easy for you to maintain the Linux operating system. The popularity of Linux is increasing along with time due to the presence of multiple configuration files. On the other hand, these files are easy to update and highly accessible. During the mid-90s, control panels were not available for the people. All the technicians had to face challenges to access the Linux servers via SSH. They had to be familiar with using an ASCII terminal to check the maintenance activities of the server.
One of the most popular Linux distributions that you could discover was Red Hat. This distribution was quite popular during the early 2000s for web hosting. However, linux web hosting server was not so prominent during this time, and it was still under development. After some time, CentOS was developed. This was created out of Red Hat Enterprise Linux distribution. As of now, it is the standard Linux distribution that you can discover in the hosting servers.
You will be able to call Linux hosting a service based upon linux web hosting server. In other words, it is designed to host the files of customers. All those files are accessible to the public over the internet. On the other hand, it is also possible to make those files available privately. However, it is highly recommended to protect the files with the help of appropriate passwords. Based on this, you can also figure out what is Linux shared hosting all about.
Advantages of Linux HostingThere are multiple benefits that you can get out of linux web hosting. If you are looking for the advantages of Linux hosting, you will need to look at the following list. It includes all the great reasons you will need to proceed with Linux hosting.
- Linux hosting is highly flexible. You will get the opportunity to receive the most out of open source technologies along with flexibility. In other words, Linux hosting uses freely available technologies. They include MySQL, PHP, and Apache. You will not have to pay anything to start using these technologies and experience the benefits that come along with them.
- Another great thing about Linux hosting is the security settings available to you. These security settings are highly advanced and efficient. If you do a cross-comparison with Windows, you will get a clear picture of that.
- Throughout the past few years, Linux earned a reputation for safety and stability. You will not have any second thoughts about going ahead with linux web hosting server as of now.
- If you are looking for an affordable and reasonable hosting solution, you may look at Linux hosting. It will provide you the opportunity to save a considerable amount of money in the long run. This doesn’t mean that you are getting a compromised service. Instead, you can get a perfect service in the long run.
Suggest you read our article about what is cpanel hosting
Disadvantages of Linux Hosting
- If you are trying to use scripting applications based on Windows, you will encounter challenges with linux web hosting server. That’s because Linux hosting is not compatible with them.
- Some of the programming languages are not recommended on Linux operating system. ASP.NET is a perfect example to prove the fact mentioned above.
- You will encounter challenges when using a Linux server son the Windows environment. (like Difficult to troubleshoot, Limited market share, Unsupported Hardware, etc.)
Now you have a good understanding of Linux hosting meaning. If you are impressed with what it can offer, you may go ahead and spend your money to get a Linux hosting plan.